Positive Reinforcement Rattlesnake Avoidance
$150 for 6 weeks
Use Promo Code “Google” at checkout to save $10 dollars
10 Dollars off – PROMO CODE: Google
3300 S. 8400 W
Want to be notified when new classes are added or registration links are added? Subscribe to our notification list below.
This class is one of a kind and very rare!
Snake avoidance training using positive reinforcement methods is a rare find. No shock collars are needed and there’s no need to repeat the class or go back for a booster shock. In fact, this class doesn’t focus on fear or pain at all. You will learn how to train each foundational behavior in this class, so no prior training is required. From there, we will take those behaviors to the next level and out into the field. At the end of the six week course, you and your dog will have the knowledge needed to continue training and perfecting rattlesnake avoidance without ever shocking your dog.
Build trust and a deeper bond with your dog by teaching them snake avoidance training and what to do when they encounter a rattlesnake. No more shocking them to create fear. And the best part is, you and your dog will have fun learning!
Note: Rattlesnake Avoidance without Shock is reopening to in-person classes! Beginning with the June 7th class, we will holding class at Pleasant Green Park (3300 S. 8400 W).
$150 dollars for a 6-week course (If you have more than one dog, please email us prior to registering). Each class will range from 45 minutes to 1 hour, with a couple being 90 minutes. We will meet once a week and you will have plenty of support along the way.
Scent articles will be provided. You will need to provide your own lifelike, yet fake, rattlesnake for training outside of class, a dog bed/mat, and a long leash or rope.
Join us as we create a community of dogs and dog lovers who use positive reinforcement for snake avoidance training!
Join us from anywhere!
virtual training available
This class is available for long distance learners. If this applies to you, you will need to provide your own snake scent (make sure you get the scent of the snake most prevalent in your area). Check with your local herpetological society to see if they can help you find the scent, then contact me to get registered for a virtual class. These may be private classes, or group classes depending on if there are multiple out of town participants. Cost remains at $150.
The benefits of snake avoidance training without shock
- Unlike the shock collar method, using positive reinforcement methods removes both fear and pain for your dog, neither of which are necessary to learn to stay away.
- Positive reinforcement snake avoidance training is much more forgiving. If an aversion trainer shocks at the wrong time, it can take months, years and even a lifetime to undo such a mistake. If you make a mistake with positive reinforcement, the dog just gets an extra reward. No harm done.
- It is easier to keep fresh in your dog’s mind because it does not require you to have a shock collar or own a rattlesnake. You can teach your dog snake avoidance training dog year-round so they are always ready.
- It teaches your dog what to do when they see, smell or hear a snake. They will know to back away and give the snake space.
- Perhaps most importantly, you do not have the potential fallout and risk associated with snake aversion shock training. Positive reinforcement is much safer and more humane for the dog and the snake.
- As a bonus, the positive reinforcement snake avoidance training allows you to develop an even deeper bond and trust level with your dog—something that is eroded each and every time you use pain and aversion techniques in any training.
“Melissa is very knowledgeable on the topic of dog behavior and how to train them on difficult tasks. I completed her rattlesnake avoidance class and was pleased with how responsive she was to my questions/concerns. She goes above and beyond in making sure you have the tools you need and the support–definitely doesn’t leave you high and dry after the class is done!”
“I worked with Melissa outta state/over the internet. I was skeptical about dog training at a distance but to my surprise, it worked and I believe it’s on account of Melissa’s keen observations, solid training, and animal intuitiveness. She did a wonderful job of recognizing my dog’s breed and considering his high energy, youth, and disposition. I feel she went above and beyond to help me and my doggers. Make the investment, take the time and enjoy a more trained fur-family member.”